Thursday, November 10, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash & A Health Update (gluten-free, vegan)



I got my test results yesterday. The bloodwork shows inflammation and anemia, and the stool samples show inflammatory markers and blood in the stool. My doctor suspects Crohn's, but we won't know for sure until December when I have an endoscopy and colonoscopy.

I'm not going to pretend that this hasn't thrown me for a loop, because it has. Some days I feel like it's not a big deal, and others, well . . . I'm a little scared. I won't know for a while exactly what I'll be dealing with. Uncertainty is not my friend.

But you know what? It's my favorite time of year. There is so much to look forward to, and be thankful for.  I plan on having as much fun as possible this holiday season, and I hope you are, too!

My current favorite thing is butternut squash. Not only is it allowed on my low-residue diet -- I can't seem to get enough of it.

I've been eating very simply, and this recipe is super-easy. Sometimes I eat the squash as a side dish, and other times I eat it with rice or gluten-free pasta. So go ahead and enjoy your beta-carotene! It's delicious.

Roasted Butternut Squash (gluten-free, vegan)

Ingredients:

1 lb. Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp Kosher salt (or to taste)

Preheat oven to 400 F. Place cubed squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (do not forget the parchment paper or the squash will stick -- trust me).

Pour the olive oil over the squash and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt. Roast in a preheated oven for 45 minutes, turning once.




Here's the end result; crispy and carmelized on the outside, and soft on the inside. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Good to have an update. I hope you get good news in December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tina!
    Don't forget to let us know in December how you are doing. My Taylor Swift lookalike blogger friend needs to let us know how she is doing!
    :-)
    Love from Kay Guest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kay!

    Thanks for caring! My endoscopy and colonoscopy are coming up in a week. I can't decided if writing about it would be too icky . . .

    Take care,
    Tina.

    ReplyDelete