Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger: Shirley Braden of GFE

Shirley's Perfect Pound Cake

The two nicest people I've never met are Wendy Gregory Kaho and Shirley Braden. Since Wendy is hosting Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger this month, and Shirley was available for adoption, I decided it was a good time to jump in and give this tradition a try.

Most of you already know Shirley. She is the warm, friendly person behind Gluten-Free Easily. Her food philosophy is to enjoy naturally gluten-free foods. Her calm, reassuring blog is a beacon to those newly diagnosed and feeling overwhelmed. 

I discovered Shirley's blog when I was searching for a good gluten-free pizza recipe. What caught my eye was her creative use of cheese. I would never have thought of using the cheese as crust! And topping, too. I never got to make that recipe, because I went dairy-free, but I was intrigued by Shirley's recipe, and by the mind behind it. 

One Saturday morning, while I was getting my gluten-free pancake ingredients together I checked Facebook just to see what was new and I stumbled upon a conversation about gluten-free cereals. I wasn't sure if I should butt in, (I wish there were a manual or guide to social media etiquette) but in the end I commented that I couldn't eat the gluten-free Chex cereals because they all made me sick. Shirley responded that they had the same effect on her, and then directed me to her post about her trip to Betty Crocker. I was so grateful to know that I wasn't crazy, and that someone else out there couldn't eat this stuff either. Shirley has been a trusted source of information ever since.

I made Shirley's Perfect Pound Cake, and it certainly lives up to its name. It was easy to make, and I had all the ingredients I needed already in my pantry (a big plus!). I find this is true of most of Shirley's recipes -- you can usually jump right in and try one without making a Whole Foods run first. 

The pound cake is . . . perfect! You can't tell it's gluten-free. Even though there is orange juice and coconut milk in the recipe, you can't taste either (not that I would have minded). It tastes like the pound cake you remember. The cake goes beautifully with fresh fruit, or would be wonderful layered with fresh fruit and coconut cream or whipped cream as a dessert parfait. I had mine plain, because I'm a purist. It was delicious.

As you know, my husband broke his hip on Thursday, and spent three days in the hospital. I had made the pound cake the day before. I brought a few slices of Shirley's pound cake in with some other snacks for him to eat after visiting hours were over. I was so happy to have something homemade and yummy to leave him with. So thanks, Shirley, for a delicious cake that was easily portable. And I think I speak for everyone else who knows Shirley, when I say thank you for being one of the most kind and supportive people in the gluten-free community. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that your husband is now home. I think it lifts ones spirits to get out of the hospital. Warm thoughts for speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, you are the sweetest! I'm so honored by this adoption and your lovely compliments, dear. It's wonderful to be mentioned in the same "category" as my delightful friend, Wendy, too. Oh, and of course, I'm tickled pink that you loved the pound cake so much. Hope it helped your husband survive the hospital visit a little better. Still sending hugs his (and your) way for his speedy recovery!

    BTW, I'm still reading every day about some folks reacting to the General Mills products.

    Thanks again so much, Tina!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb,

    Thank you! We are so happy to have him home, too. The hospital is no place to rest, that's for sure! Thanks so much for your well-wishes. :) Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shirley,

    I'm so glad you enjoyed my post. :) You and Wendy are both so kind and supportive, I'm so happy to have "met" you both! Hopefully someday we can actually meet in person. :) Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There needs to be more gluten free recipes. Thanks for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anywhere, anytime I find a review of Shirley's Perfect Poundcake, it makes me do such a happy dance that it is embarassing! I LOVE this cake! It truly IS perfect and even a truly bad baker (like myself) can make it. Thanks for your review here. And you are SO right, Shirley is the best! :-)
    Kay Guest

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kay,

    I'm so happy you love Shirley's pound cake recipe! It is wonderful to have reliable recipes you know you can count on to make delicious gluten-free treats. Shirley is definitely the best! -- Tina.

    ReplyDelete